Developer Content Marketing and Growth Hacking

Introduction

I'm gonna talk about growth hacking tactics for developer facing startupsand for some quick background, I've been doing business on the web for about 11 years now. The thing that I've been doing is basically solving problems for marketers.
My first consulting company was called ACS and what we did was providemarketing services to other companies and marketers.
Then with Crazy Egg, we built a tool to allow you to see where people are clicking on a webpage. It was for designers as well as marketers. And it helped them understand data better without actually having to look throughreporting and numbers -- because as you all know, marketers, they don't have math degrees.
Then with KISSmetrics, it was more about going further and providing easy-to-use analytics tools that also tied to user-level data. It was a lot different than Google Analytics and Omniture at the time. Enough about me, I'm supposed to know a lot about marketing - even though I'm always learning every day.
That's why I'm here to talk to all of you. I actually did an analysis and I looked at all the traffic on the properties and businesses that I've started and owned over the years. It looks like up 'til June of this year from 2003, we've driven about 41 million visits to all of our sites.
I like big numbers. I'm a marketer at heart. Although I love product as well,I'm not a developer, I just fake it. So I thought I'd just pop up a big number for all of you, because it's a big number and it was really interesting to go calculate it.

On Traditional Marketing

First, I want to talk about some of the shifts that I've seen since 2008, this is when we actually started KISSmetrics.
Marketing was really traditional and I'll talk a little bit more about what I mean by that. But there were a lot of standard practices, especially with B2B. They were very much the practices that you'd see a lot of companies take on and they are very similar.
New Relic was started in 2008. I'd say it was one of the first SAAS B2B developer-focused tools that you could say were developer focused, were SAAS, and made it easy for customers to buy. Obviously, they've been doing really well.
These are some of their stats from their website. They've had lots of downloads. They run on a lot of sites. They have over 200,000 users and they're going to probably go public very soon.
I also pulled up their stats around their funding. One thing I would say here is that since 2008, they've actually raised a ton of money. They've raised about $200 million dollars. It's likely that if you're starting out today, the prospects aren't great that you'll have this much money available to you.
I'm going to break down all the strategies that they use that I would bucket as traditional marketing.

SEO / SEM

First, if you type in almost any term that's related to New Relic, they're either in organic search or they're in the paid listings or both.
In this case, I just typed in, "application performance monitoringwhich is the category they fell into. They also appeared in the enterprise categoryfrom back in the day when you had servers and results like that show up.They're in the ads and also they show up organically in organic search.This is a very typical strategy. Everyone will tell you to do this and there's lots of knowledge about how to do SEM and SEO.

Blogging

Next, I wouldn't say blogging is traditional but you can see they have a blog. You go to their site, you can find their blog and they do blog a lot of things -- updates to their product and all that stuff.
What I will say is it's mostly product updates and announcements. They had an apology for the name of their conference recently because it conflicted with some other domain. It's basically a lot of press release announcement-style blogging.

Share on Google Plus

About BIGDeals

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire